Open Call for Balatorium Artist Residency Programme
The second event of the BALATORIUM Artist Residency programme will be held in the spring of 2023, in collaboration with the Balaton Uplands National Park Directorate. Throughout the residency programme, the artists will meet with the institutions' researchers and other local experts on a regular basis. The researchers and experts will participate in the process as mentors for the residency artists.
Any artist/artist duo working in any artistic field or medium, regardless of age, is eligible to apply.
The second edition of the residency programme is planned for the second half of April 2023 (planned dates: 16-30 April), with the Balaton Upland National Park Directorate (BfNP) serving as both a professional partner and a venue provider. The new artworks/productions based on the residency research will be presented during the BALATORIUM Ecological x Cultural Week in August 2023, by which time they should be fully completed.
Covered by hosts:
- accommodation (14 nights)
- travel expenses: to and from the residency venue on one occasion within Hungary, international travel can be compensated up to a maximum of €350
- material costs (maximum 300.000 HUF per project - including the cost of the presentation at the Ecological x Cultural Week)
- artist fee (covered by invoices, 150.000 HUF for solo artist, 200.000Ft for duos of artists)
- consultation and mentoring – in support of the research and creative process
- curatorial and production assistance from the BALATORIUM professional team
- presentation of the completed artworks at the Ecology Week 2023
- documentation of the finished work
- production of a video interview on the work and its context
- presentation of the works to the professional and general public on the BALATORIUM project website and promotion of the project to the press
Studio space is not available on site.
Responsibility of the selected artists:
- preparation for the residency programme, preliminary orientation on the site based on the preliminary materials provided by the researchers who will be mentoring the programme
- on-site presence during the two-week residency programme
- collaboration with the residency mentors
- presentation of the finished works during Ecology Week 2023 and installation of artwork upon previous agreement with the organisers
- reporting twice on their work in a few sentences on BALATORIUM's social media platforms during the residency programme
- responding to press inquiries about the project
- presenting their completed works and the creative process in the spirit of the VEB 2023 ECOC, and especially the BALATORIUM programme
- agreement to publish the documentation, details, reproductions (including image credits) and written artistic concept of their work on the online and offline platforms of the VEB2023 ECOC.
The application must include:
- a professional CV of up to two A4 pages (name, permanent address, email and telephone contact details, professional studies, exhibitions, projects, professional awards, etc.)
- a digital portfolio of selected works of the applicant (preferably in pdf format, max. 10 MB)
- a professional project concept note of up to two A4 pages outlining how the applicant would make use of the opportunity offered by the residency programme
- a brief description of how the applicant plans to work together with researchers from the Institutes and what kind of collaboration they expect
- a statement that the data submitted for the application may be handled by the VEB2023 ECOC and the BALATORIUM and may be made available to staff and experts involved in the organisation of the grant application and to members of the jury
- the applicant agrees to prepare a short report (1 A4 page) within one month after the end of the programme and to send it to the VEB2023 ECOC and BALATORIUM.
Applications should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, application is free of charge. The submission deadline is 30 October 2022 (midnight), and applicants will be notified of the results by 20 November 2022.